Introducing BTE Academy
BTE Academy is a Centre of Excellence for teaching STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. We work with local employers and UWE to offer students a wide range of experiences. Our students enjoy visits and workshops combined with varied learning methods and practical working.
Qualifications and skills for the future
Study a range of GCSE subjects along with specialist engineering and computer science courses. Our focus on employability gives our students a head start at University and work.
Project based learning
Real life industry projects make learning more enjoyable and relevant.
Students in Year 10 and Year 11 take part in the following activities:
- Aviation workshops with Rolls-Royce: building and testing a model plan to explore aerodynamic principles
- Bloodhound project: designing, testing and evaluating a rocket powered car
- Wind turbine project with UWE: designing, building and testing a wind turbine using sustainable resources
- Robotics project with UWE: building and programming a robot using Arduino
- Royal Navy Challenge Project: designing and building the solution to solve the natural disaster challenge set by the Royal Navy
- Year 12 and Year 13 students have enjoyed a week on HMS Bristol in Portsmouth, experiencing Engineering within the Royal Navy
- Trip to Barry in Wales for Environmental Sustainability
BTE Academy is a University Technical College (UTC) for 14-19 year-olds.
University Technical Colleges (UTCs) offer a brand new way to learn. Working alongside local businesses, UTCs ensure the curriculum is relevant for employment. Students will be highly skilled and have the opportunity to gain an impressive range of qualifications, providing students with a head start for next steps.