Careers Guidance interviews
A careers guidance interview is an impartial, one-to-one meeting between a student and a professionally qualified careers adviser. A guidance interview can last around 30 minutes to an hour depending on need. A careers guidance interview is not like a job interview - there are no right or wrong answers.
What will be discussed?
It is up to you what you want to discuss but if you aren’t sure then he will help you to prioritise.
Typically students discuss:
- What option to take next- i.e. 6th Form, College, apprenticeships.
- Developing new and existing career ideas.
- Concerns and worries about achieving goals.
During a guidance interview he will help you to:
- identify your personal qualities and skills
- identify the skills you would like to develop
- develop ideas for study and work
- explore specific career areas open to you
- explore current and future job opportunities
- understand the process of job search, writing a CV and going for interviews
- explore your interests, likes and dislikes, family influences, personal barriers and work experience
- think about how study, work experience, and home-life can all contribute to your employability
How to prepare for your interview
- your current situation – what planning you have already done, if any
- what you would like to change
- qualifications or additional qualifications and experience required for the career(s) you are interested in
- how much control you feel you have in making choices
- the ideas you already have but don't know how to move forward with or perhaps you have no ideas at all
Benefits of a guidance interview
- increased motivation and self- confidence
- greater self-awareness
- identification of more achievable ambitions
- improved decision making skills
- increased awareness of opportunities